Filter by Category
with Robert Hersey
Next available session starts Apr 18, 2023 at 9 am
This course provides participants a foundation for applying a culturally competent framework to both their professional and personal lives. Our training includes three modules: an introductory module, one on learning to understand our own culture and how we see the world, and finally a module learning how culture impacts our communication styles.
At the conclusion of this training, participants will be able to:
- Define cultural and linguistic competency and related terms.
- List three compelling reasons why cultural and linguistic competency is important to behavioral health and primary care in reducing health disparities and advancing health equity.
- Describe the intersection among culture, world views, social determinants of health.
- Develop cultural self-awareness and examine our own mental models about people who may experience life in ways that differ from their own.
- Discuss various multicultural groups and power differentials such as racism, classism, sexism, ableism, adultism and heterosexism.
- Describe various models specific to identity and cultural competency development and its application to various contexts.
- Explore their own communication style and understand how culture influences communication.
- Identify various communication styles and communication barriers.
Particpants will receive a Zoom link 48 hours prior to the start of the training.
For questions, please e-mail Robert Hersey at email@example.com.